Maxon’s nursery is by far my favourite room in our house. I remember when we first bought our home in 2015; standing in that little empty room and imagining holding my baby, little did I know then how long and tough a road it would be to get a baby to actually put in there! I think this longing and anticipation was a big factor for me in pouring a lot of energy into the room; in spite of the fact that this isn’t our forever home and we will need to move to something bigger within the next few years.
As I’ve mentioned in previous posts, I had a very strong feeling from day 1 that I was having a boy, and to be honest, I think I would have gone for this theme regardless of gender (obvs girls love space too!). My interior style isn’t very ‘girly’ and a pink space would have looked out of place (as would a baby blue!).
My starting point, as with pretty much anything I do interiors wise, was Pinterest, searching key phrases like ‘Space nursery’/’Kids rooms’ etc. I saw a post with constellation wallpaper and fell in love, and my search for the perfect wallpaper began. I found several brands that had similar (including one from B&Q); but when I looked at them up close I wasn’t keen on the shades of the blue and how ‘plastic’ they looked. Which gave me the idea to paint it on myself; I mean, how hard could it be? (I should add, I do like an arty challenge!)
I’d decided on this theme at around 20 weeks pregnant. But in my absolute paranoia about jinxing the pregnancy, I waited until 30 weeks to start decorating. So on the 2nd June, in the height of our hottest summer on record, resembling a mini whale, I began decorating (and when I say ‘I’, I really do mean just me, as my husband, as skilled as he is at many other things, did not set foot in here at my own wish)…
The background colour of the feature wall was an easy choice; I’m obsessed with Valspar’s Naval Brigade (I have this in my living room too). So two coats were applied in a mid sheen finish. I find dark colours work better in a mid sheen as it gives them some depth, whereas a matt can look flat and dense.
Searching’ DIY constellation walls’, I found several families online who had done similar projects, ranging massively in terms of scale, precision, time invested and methods used. After lots of reading and thought, I decided I would try and borrow a projector from a Teacher friend in order to draw on the constellations accurately. When this plan fell through, I remember feeling quite overwhelmed. How was I going to get the effect I wanted, the accuracy etc without a projector? I kept staring at the blank navy wall thinking where do I begin!
Talking it through with my husband one night, he suggested getting a plan of the stars and then working out the measurements to accurately scale it to our wall (my maths skills are atrocious so he really came in handy here). It was a little awkward to do owing to the wall having an annex ceiling, but within a few hours I had grid measurements that I could start plotting.
So plot I did, it took around 45 minutes to measure out all the grids I needed, and I marked my points with white blue tack…
So now I had a framework and measurements, it was time to start drawing. I bought several brands of paint pen in different nib widths and played around a little before committing. 0.5mm in silver (I also tried white) gave the effect I wanted, and I used a ruler and protractor to try and keep things as neat and accurate as possible.
This part took me around 4 hours. I then needed to add the points for the stars and of course, all the tiny dotted stars (which are completely random BTW). All in, the wall took me from start to finish about 7-8 hours. Which doesn’t sound a lot now looking back but seemed such a huge task so heavily pregnant!
The rest of the walls were left white in order to provide a contrast. Furniture wise, I tried to keep costs to a minimum and found pretty much everything I needed in Ikea; the drawers are Hemnes, the storage unit to the right side of the room are the Kallax and the Crib is the Sundvik model. The clothes rail is Jojo Maman Bebe (no space for a wardrobe!).
The light fitting is also Ikea (PS 2014)…and as amazing as it looks, was a NIGHTMARE to fit. We could not get the ceiling rose to sit flush (something I later discovered, after hours of Youtube videos, was a common problem amongst Ikea lights). I nearly threw the whole thing down the stairs several times…
I ordered our new fitted black out blind (we previously had cheap, paper thin verticals which you can see in the above) from Blinds2go and fitted it myself (I’d done a few others round the house prior so was a dab hand by this point, even as a huge lump). All in, including accessories like the Neon M Sign (Next), the custom space Mobile (ebay), all furniture, blinds, paint, materials etc came in at £850…which I was pretty bloody chuffed with!
I’ve continued to add little accessories to the room as and when I’ve seen them. It’s a small room so can’t take a lot but little touches like the handmade ‘La Luna’ sign and the amazing Moon print from Green Lili Art (an amazing gift from by bestie) have really helped pull together the theme…
And there we have it. I absolutely loved creating this room (as frustrated as it had me at times) and I love nothing more than putting my little guy to bed in here, remembering how much love (and literal sweat) that I poured into it!